The full results are in and the numbers have been crunched to determine the winner of the 2017 Crokinole Fantasy Pool. So who saw their predictions become reality and can take the praise as Fantasy Champion?
(Posted below are the top 10 finishers, and if you would like your own score and position, please send me a message.)
|Rank||Team||Pts||Group A||Group B||Group C||Group D|
|1||Nathan Walsh||540||Ray Beierling||Raymond Kappes||Dwayne Campbell||Connor Reinman|
|Nathan Walsh||Robert Bonnett||Matt Brown||Jonathan Phillips|
|2||Robert Bonnett||520||Justin Slater||Robert Bonnett||Rob C Mader||Lloyd Wiseman|
|Ray Beierling||Roger Vaillancourt||Matt Brown||Connor Reinman|
|2||Ray Beierling||520||Ray Beierling||Jason Beierling||Dwayne Campbell||Connor Reinman|
|Nathan Walsh||Raymond Kappes||Matt Brown||Jeremy Tracey|
|4||Andrew Hutchinson||505||Ray Beierling||Raymond Kappes||Dwayne Campbell||Connor Reinman|
|Justin Slater||Roy Campbell||Rob C Mader||Jeremy Tracey|
|5||Jon Conrad||500||Ray Beierling||Andrew Hutchinson||Dwayne Campbell||Connor Reinman|
|Justin Slater||Roy Campbell||Greg Pinel||Jeremy Tracey|
|5||Kelly Fischer||500||Justin Slater||Jason Beierling||Dwayne Campbell||Connor Reinman|
|Ray Beierling||Clare Kuepfer||Matt Brown||Jeremy Tracey|
|7||Justin Slater||490||Justin Slater||Andrew Hutchinson||Dwayne Campbell||Connor Reinman|
|Ray Beierling||Fred Slater||Rex Johnston||Jeremy Tracey|
|8||Roy Campbell||460||Justin Slater||Jason Beierling||Dwayne Campbell||Christina Campbell|
|Ray Beierling||Raymond Kappes||Matt Brown||Jeremy Tracey|
|8||Fred Slater||460||Justin Slater||Andrew Hutchinson||Dwayne Campbell||Connor Reinman|
|Jon Conrad||Raymond Kappes||Ab Leitch||Lloyd Wiseman|
|10||Ben Rider||455||Justin Slater||Jason Beierling||Wilfred Smith||Dave Brown|
|Nathan Walsh||Fred Slater||Matt Brown||Nathan Jongsma|
|10||Josh Davis||455||Ray Beierling||Clare Kuepfer||Rueben Jong||Connor Reinman|
|Nathan Walsh||Roy Campbell||Rob C Mader||Nathan Jongsma|
Nathan Walsh wins the title with 540 points, as Robert Bonnett and Ray Beierling round out the podium tied at 520 points. For all three of the Walsh, Bonnett and Beierling, it was their highest ever fantasy pool finish.
- Robert Bonnett was only 20 points away from winning both the World Championship and Fantasy Pool. You may think that is common as players tend to select themselves, however Nathan Walsh became the first Fantasy Pool Champion to select himself, as all three top finishers did.
- Among the total of 24 Fantasy team entries there were a number of new and unfamiliar names, which was great to see. And even more impressive was the appearance of some of those names in Top 10, proving that one can do their research from afar and be successful.
- Jon Conrad has been the most consistent Fantasy Pool performer over all three years. He finished 2nd in 2015, 2nd in 2016, and now 5th in 2017. He usually doesn't select himself, and if he had this year, his score would have been boosted from 500 to 520 points, for yet another 2nd place finish.
- Justin Slater probably takes the title of "unluckiest" as his team scored 490 points even after selecting Rex Johnston, who wasn't in competition on the day. Selections from Pool C earned anywhere from 25 to 70 points, so an "average" choice would pushed him close to the overall title.
- The most popular Group A selections were Justin Slater and Ray Beierling, both being picked on 19 of 26 teams. Jon Conrad surprisingly slid under the radar, being selected on only 5 teams, before finishing the highest of any Group A possibilities.
- Selections from Group B were quite varied, but Roy Campbell and Jason Beierling were the most popular, being selected 10 and 8 times respectively. World Champion, Robert Bonnett, was only picked 5 times, and 5th place Fred Slater was only selected 3 times.
- Group C selections were concentrated on the individuals of Matt Brown, Rob Mader and Dwayne Campbell, as each was picked 11 times.
- Connor Reinman led the Group D selections with 14, followed by Jeremy Tracey with 9, while 4th place finisher, Nathan Jongsma, was selected 4 times. A choice of any of those three proved to be quite wise.
- The best possible team selection would have earned 625 points overall and included:
- Group A: Jon Conrad, (Justin Slater OR Ray Beierling)
- Group B: Robert Bonnett, Fred Slater
- Group C: Dwayne Campbell, (Greg Pinel OR Rob Mader)
- Group D: Connor Reinman, Nathan Jongsma
Thanks again to everyone who took part and contributed to making this another successful and fun "side-activity" for the World Championships. Hopefully everyone looks forward to doing it again for the 20th edition of the World Crokinole Championships in 2018!