It's that time of year again to pull out your nail file for your best shooting finger, adjust your sleep schedule for an early morning, and begin hydrating for a humid (and hopefully) long day.
But it's also once again time to refresh your crokinole stats files and algorithms and think about who you will select for the 2017 WCC Fantasy Pool. Last year Roy Campbell edged out Jon Conrad by only 10 points for the 2016 Fantasy title, as he joined 2015 winner, Clare Kuepfer, on the distinguished list of champions.
So will a new victor emerge in 2017? You will get to play a part in deciding if that is the case.
The rules are simple (and the same as last year):
- Pick the best 8 player team consisting of:
- 2 players from Group A
- 2 players from Group B
- 2 players from Group C
- and 2 players from Group D.
- The higher up your players finish, the more points your team earns.
- Whoever has the team with the most points will win the coveted title of Crokinole Fantasy Champion, and bragging rights until their title is challenged next year.
NOTE: Fantasy Pool results are limited to the Competitive Singles category.
The separation into 4 different groups is designed to spread out the talent, so a the winning team will require a strong showing from many different players who outperform their expectations.
This year, the groups were divided based on CrokinoleCentre rankings and the 2016 WCC results.
- Group A - The top 4 CrokinoleCentre ranked players.
- Group B - All of the players who are either ranked in the top 10 by CrokinoleCentre, or who finished in the top 10 in the 2016 WCC.
- Group C - The top 25 from CrokinoleCentre's rankings, or anyone who finished in the top 25 in the 2016 WCC.
- Group D - Any player not listed in Groups A, B or C. As a guide, a list of notable players have been provided.
|Group A||Group B||Group C||Group D|
|Justin Slater||Jason Beierling||Dwayne Campbell||Lloyd Wiseman|
|Ray Beierling||Fred Slater||Rex Johnston||Dave Brown|
|Nathan Walsh||Tom Johnston||Howard Martin||Robert Weeks|
|Jon Conrad||Andrew Hutchinson||Rueben Jong||Peter Tarle|
|Roy Campbell||Ezra Jantzi||Nathan Jongsma|
|Clare Kuepfer||Dale Henry||Alex Protas|
|Raymond Kappes||Bev Vaillancourt||Rueben Jong|
|Eric Miltenburg||Ab Leitch||Jennifer Carstairs|
|Robert Bonnett||Gregory Pinel||Peter Ryan|
|Roger Vaillancourt||Cathy Kuepfer||Dave Meijer|
|Randy Harris||Wayne Scott||Douglas Neill|
|Brian Simpson||Barry Kiggins||Peter Carter|
|Kevin Brooks||Jacob Westerhof|
|Lawson Lea||Daryl MacDonald|
|Rob C Mader||Christina Campbell|
|Matt Brown||Connor Reinman|
|Kevin Bechtel||Jeremy Tracey|
NOTE: For Group D, you are allowed to select anyone not listed in Groups A, B or C. The players listed here are simply a small collection of notable players eligible to be selected.
Points will be awarded as follows:
- 1st - 100
- 2nd - 90
- 3rd - 85
- 4th - 80
- 5th-8th - 70
- 9th-12th - 65
- 13th-16th - 60
- 17th-20th - 50
- 21st-25th - 45
- 26th-30th - 40
- 31st-35th - 35
- 36th-40th - 30
- 41st-45th - 25
- 46th-50th - 20
- 51st-60th - 15
- 61st-70th - 10
- >71st - 5
To solve the issue of not knowing who is attending the event, there will be printouts provided at the tournament to set your Fantasy team at the last minute. Entries will be accepted until 1:30pm EST on June 3rd, 2016.
That being said, feel free to comment below on your strategy and current picks to get a discussion rolling.
Good luck and have fun!