Well it was quite a day for crokinole last Saturday, and there will be more analysis and video to follow, but first we have to hand out the final prize of the World Crokinole tournament.
And that prize is the winner of the 2nd Annual Crokinole Fantasy Pool.
I want to thank everyone who was spreading the word about the pool and promoting the idea. 35 entries were received, and that's due to a good number of people being directed over to the NCA booth to submit a team.
Posted below are the top 10 finishers. (If you would like your own score and position, please send me a message.)
And the winner is...
|Rank||Team||Pts||Group A||Group B||Group C||Group D|
|1||Roy Campbell||580||Justin Slater||Matt Brown||Ab Leitch||Eric Miltenburg|
|Ray Beierling||Nathan Walsh||Fred Slater||Barry Kiggins|
|2||Jon Conrad||570||Justin Slater||Robert Bonnett||Ab Leitch||Eric Miltenburg|
|Ray Beierling||Nathan Walsh||Clare Kuepfer||Barry Kiggins|
|3||Nathan Walsh||560||Justin Slater||Ray Kappes||Fred Slater||Peter Tarle|
|Ray Beierling||Nathan Walsh||Kevin Bechtel||Barry Kiggins|
|3||Ray Beierling||560||Justin Slater||Ray Kappes||Ab Leitch||Eric Miltenburg|
|Ray Beierling||Nathan Walsh||Clare Kuepfer||Dwayne Campbell|
|5||Andrew Hutchinson||540||Justin Slater||Tom Johnston||Ab Leitch||Eric Miltenburg|
|Ray Beierling||Nathan Walsh||Clare Kuepfer||Bev Vaillancourt|
|6||Matt Brown||530||Justin Slater||Tom Johnston||Ab Leitch||Peter Tarle|
|Ray Beierling||Nathan Walsh||Howard Martin||Eric Miltenburg|
|7||Jason Beierling||525||Justin Slater||Ray Kappes||Ab Leitch||Bev Vaillancourt|
|Ray Beierling||Nathan Walsh||Kevin Bechtel||David Younker|
|8||Cathy Kuepfer||500||Jon Conrad||Matt Brown||Clare Kuepfer||Eric Miltenburg|
|Ray Beierling||Nathan Walsh||Fred Slater||Bev Vaillancourt|
|8||Randy Harris||500||Jon Conrad||Tom Johnston||Randy Harris||Ron Haymes|
|Ray Beierling||Nathan Walsh||Fred Slater||Eric Miltenburg|
|10||Robert Bonnett||495||Justin Slater||Matt Brown||Reuben Jong||Eric Miltenburg|
|Ray Beierling||Nathan Walsh||Howard Martin||Peter Tarle|
Roy Campbell wins the title with 580 points, narrowly ahead of Jon Conrad in second, and Nathan Walsh and Ray Beierling tied in third.
For his prominent prediction powers, Roy Campbell will win a T-Shirt compliments of CrokinoleDepot.
With so many more entries this year, along with the ability to make selections up until the final minute, there were a lot interesting things to note.
- While Nathan Walsh, Ray Beierling and Jason Beierling were all able to correctly select the top 4 finishers in the event, Roy Campbell amassed enough points for first place by being the only person to have all 8 selection finish in the top 20.
- There were quite a few Merv Wice fans in attendance. As many as 3 entries were submitted with such bold confidence that Merv Wice was the one and only pick on the entire team.
- Most of the people who made initial online team selections were over-written with a new ballot on the day of. Jon Conrad was one of the few to stick with his initial picks, and it impressively resulted in a 2nd place result.
- Out of all of the selections, Ray Beierling was the most popular choice, being chosen on 19 different entries. Just behind Ray was Justin Slater, appearing on 17 entries.
- The most popular choices from Group B were Nathan Walsh and Matt Brown. From Group C, Clare Kuepfer, Ab Leitch and Fred Slater were selected numerous times. Meanwhile, Group D had many varied selections, but Eric Miltenburg was a common choice.
- The top 2 teams (Campbell and Conrad), earned a significant number points from their Group D selections of Eric Miltenburg and Barry Kiggins. Both players had extremely strong showings at the tournament, finishing 5th and 12th respectively.
- Credit has to be given to some of the underdog stories of the tournament. To the detriment of most fantasy team selections, the following players made the top 16, but were not chosen on more than 2 teams: Randy Harris, Kevin Brooks, and Lawson Lea.
- In case you were wondering, Roy Campbell's score of 580 was only 40 points away from the best possible team selection, which was:
- Group A - Justin Slater (1st), Ray Beierling (3rd)
- Group B - Nathan Walsh (2nd), Ray Kappes (4th)
- Group C - Randy Harris (9th), Kevin Brooks (11th)
- Group D - Eric Miltenburg (5th), Barry Kiggins (12th)
That team would have earned 620 points.
So congratulations to Roy Campbell. His title of 2016 Crokinole Fantasy Champion did not come easy with so many entries, but he has earned bragging rights until next year (and the aforementioned CrokinoleDepot T-Shirt).
Thanks again to all for participating. Let me know if you have any suggestions to make it better in 2017.